Volunteering with SAIL
Volunteers play a significant role within the SAIL service and make a big contribution to the running of our busy service. We currently have two volunteering opportunities within the SAIL service.
As part of the SAIL service we always follow up with our clients after four weeks to ensure they’ve received support and heard from any other services/ agencies we’ve referred them to. The role of the volunteer is to support the Gateway team complete four week follow up calls, record their feedback on our database and follow up with any agencies who are yet to make contact with our clients. The volunteer will also support us in contacting clients to capture their feedback on the SAIL service by completing a short feedback survey with a random sample of SAIL Gateway and SAILplus clients.
We know from our SAIL work that it is sometimes not enough to send information about social activities or other services: even if we do follow them up afterwards. We have started to see people referred to us again for similar reasons despite sending them relevant information. We also know that sometimes people are nervous and anxious about attending groups alone, don’t have the support to complete simple, practical tasks which can create barriers which can prevent someone from engaging with activities and services.
The SAIL Friend role is envisaged to be varied and person-centred, focused on the needs of the particular client, and therefore we do not want to be too prescriptive. We imagine that regular tasks may include:
- Accompanying the client to appointments (these would be one-off appointments and limited per client to prevent a dependence on the service)
- Accompanying the client to social events
- Attending social events with the client to ensure they feel comfortable and settled
- Getting the client out of the house
- Functional tasks to help them remain independent. These could include (but not limited to):
- Support high priority clients (Band A and B) bid for properties
- Support clients organise paperwork
- Support clients organise personal belongings
Want to find out more?
If you are interested in volunteering with SAIL, why not give us a call on 020 7346 6800 or click on the button to send us a message
Want to make a referral?
Just fill in our simple form, and one of the team will get to you as soon as possible.
Come and work for us
We have some SAIL jobs going at the moment. Are you a real people person? Why not find out more?
Looking for services around Lambeth?
Go to our directory which has a growing number of local services on it. You can also find out if you might be entitled to support form Adult Social Care