Without a safe, comfortable discharge a patient is more likely to be readmitted to the hospital within 30 days. Within the SAIL service, we have a Hospital 2 Home service that’s on hand to support patients at Guy’s, St Thomas’, Kings College and St George’s hospitals.
The Hospital 2 Home worker will either help escort a patient home or meet them there when they arrive. We ensure someone is comfortable and settled following a hospital discharge.
There are also instances in which someone’s discharge can be delayed through factors outside their control and our Hospital 2 Home worker can support with this to ensure a timely discharge.
Below is a list of some of the support the service provides:
- Collecting items a patient needs from home in the lead up to their discharge, this can include clothes or paperwork.
- Ensure that there is enough food and other practical items in the house for someone’s return.
- Make sure that everything is in working order like gas and electricity.
- Assures minor adaptations and furniture is moved on the day of discharge. They will refer to our HandyFix service and these are treated as a priority and completed within 24 hours.
- They can also link in with other Age UK Lambeth services to prevent future hospital readmission.
Referrals are accepted from professionals, family/ friends and self-referrals. To make a referral someone needs to contact the SAIL team and they will discuss this with the Hospital 2 Home worker who will then make contact with the patient.
Want to make a referral?
Just fill in our simple form, and one of the team will get to you as soon as possible.
Come and work for us
We have some SAIL jobs going at the moment. Are you a real people person? Why not find out more?
Looking for services around Lambeth?
Go to our directory which has a growing number of local services on it. You can also find out if you might be entitled to support form Adult Social Care